NKNCat

Trolley Modeling in N Scale

Subscribe vis RSS

To Calgary ~ Thursday, May 03, 2018

The week before last, I visited Calgary, Alberta, to attend the International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing. Before I even started the trip, I noticed this poster at the Western Railway Museum:

I used transit (RWC->CalTrain->Millbrae->BART->SanBruno->SFO) to reach the airport--the first time I've ridden transit to my home airport for the practical purpose of flying somewhere.

The International Terminal had several exhibits on display--one of early coin-operated machines, one of American folk art (with a case full of interesting carved stone books), and a commemoration of the creation of the rainbow flag.

My first view of Alberta looked pretty chilly.

Temperatures improved over the course of the week.

I had the good fortune to be traveling with a colleague who agreed that taking local transit downtown would be the interesting way to get there. Calgary Transit's CTrain doesn't run directly to the airport but you can take a bus (#100) to connect to it (helpful people will probably tell you to take bus #300 directly but that's not as much fun).

Keep an eye out and you'll get a quick view of the CTrain's yard/shop complex, where some of the original Siemens-Düwag U2's are being scrapped--but as you can see, there's still some in service.

direct link