SF Transit Ice-Cream Tour ~ Thursday, September 18, 2014
A local tourism website published a list of the best ice-cream shops in San Francisco.
Here's a few highlights and transit-oriented directions. I've only been to a few of these myself. We will try to remedy that!
- The Ice Cream Bar. Some flavors are alcoholic! 815 Cole St, in Cole Valley, right by the west portal of the Sunset Streetcar tunnel (N Judah). Close to Haight/Ashbury and the eastern end of Golden Gate park.
- Mr. & Mrs Miscellaneous, in the formerly scruffy but increasingly upscale Dogpatch. 699 22nd Street; a block from the 22nd St CalTrain station, also by a T-Third Light rail stop.
- It's not ice-cream, but a block away is Just For You Cafe, which I've heard has New-Orleans-style beignets!
- Smitten. Apparently they make it on the spot with liquid nitrogen! 432 Octavia Street. This location is within a few blocks of Market Street and the Civic Center--you could reach it from the Van Ness Muni Metro Station, or with a slightly longer walk from the Civic Center BART/Muni station, or walk up from Market (F-Market, etc). Be aware that this is an area where various types of urban environments converge (it's much nicer since the freeway offramp that used to be on top of Octavia was torn down).
- Bi-Rite Creamery. The article lists them under a location on Divisadero, but I've seen lines out the door at their location at 3692 18th Street, conveniently close to Dolores Park, the J-Church, and Market St.
- Humphry Slocombe. They list a location at 2790A Harrison Street, a few blocks from the 24th/Mission BART station, but they also have a booth in the Ferry Building.
- Mitchell's Ice Cream, featured several times in this blog, and the best ice-cream in the world!!!. The location at 29th St. and San Jose Ave. is close to Mission St. busses (14, etc) and the J-Church.