NKNCat

Trolley Modeling in N Scale

Subscribe vis RSS

Corner Hotel ~ Friday, September 25, 2020

With the hotel structure done, I turned to adding a few details and interior lighting.

The lights are white LED's salvaged from a string of Christmas tree lights. Note that you need to put the LED's in series with a resistor or they will literally explode. You could build this resistor into the power supply for all your buildings, but (a) you might want to have lighting or animations that don't need this current-limiting, and (b) it'd be way too easy to accidentally hook things up wrong and make all your structure lights explode simultaneously. So I'm planning on every illuminated building containing it's own resistor, as needed. I used a 330Ω resistor. Here is an article which recommends 470Ω for a 12v supply but as you can see I'm using 9v.

I put some figures and minimal interor details into the first floor lobby (the furniture is just simple painted wood shapes). On the 2nd and 3d floor I skipped doing interiors and made curtains out of tissue paper.

Adding lighting isn't that much work, but definitely adds to the atmosphere of a trolley layout.

direct link