NKNCat

Trolley Modeling in N Scale

Subscribe vis RSS

In the Old Neighborhood ~ Sunday, March 14, 2021

This is Paul Revere School, in Bernal Heights, SF. I had 3rd grade in this building, and 4th-5th in a newer boring one across the street.

There's a (stupid) plan to rename a bunch of schools in the City. Glad to see that they haven't touched the sign here yet!

It's painted much more nicely than I remember.

Up on Cortland is a church that long ago was a movie theater.

That was way before my time, but I was always kind of aware of this place, so I think its history must have been a little more obvious back in the day. Cinematreasures.org has some nice pictures how it looked originally and into the 50's. It lasted til 1957 which is really pretty good for a tiny neighborhood theater. The Market St Railway had a streetcar line on Cortland. I bet somewhere in somebody's attic there's a picture of the theater going by!

In 2021, across the street, there's a new bakery called Black Jet Bakery which I highly recommend.

On the way home we stopped by South City to check out another old theater, the State.

It's also listed on Cinematreasures, a pretty cool site.

Both of these would make nice modelling projects.

direct link